Saturday, April 19, 2008

Strange Behavior on Blogspot

I've noticed something strange about Blogspot. Have you seen the same thing? It's a bug in the word wrapping algorithm. This is the logic by which the software decides when to wrap to a new line within a single paragraph. It seems that the Blogspot word wrap algorithm doesn't want to start a new line with a quotation mark. To avoid this it will wrap too early and leave the previous line way too short. This is especially noticeable if the previous word is a long one. Let me see if I can create a couple of examples.

[If you follow this blog via a feed reader you will need to click the link and see this post in its original location on Geekspiel.]

With quotes:
The formatting method for quotations is incontrovertably "suboptimal" on Blogspot.

Without quotes:
The formatting method for quotations is incontrovertably suboptimal on Blogspot.

I kid you not; I did not insert the line break in the first example. Does anybody understand why this happens?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like it's working just fine. From where I sit, the added quotes around suboptimal make that word too long to fit on that line. The K in link (as in "will need to click the link") is almost directly above the L in suboptimal in your second example.

Bill Hensley said...

Ah, yes, but why didn't it break the line between incontrovertably and "suboptimal"?

Rob said...

Firefox does indeed break the line between incontrovertably and "suboptimal" but Internet Explorer does not. Looks to me like yet another IE weirdness.